Wednesday, May 21, 2008

About nine more days to the launching of my first book

About nine more days to the launching of my first book. Writing the book was pretty easy, it was the entire process of looking for a publisher, going thru the editing ... that was tedious. I wrote this book back in Feb 2007 because I felt that there was a lack of self help book for mothers. Mothers who want to help their children prepare for PSLE and would like to know the most effective ways to go about doing it

In 2006 I took a break from work. That year was also the year my girl sat for her PSLE. My girl was a good child, she was very conscientious in her studies unfortunately her grades were mediocre. Initially I thought my involvement in her PSLE preparation would be to give her constant encouragement and moral support. It did not turn out to be that way. I was actively into teaching and coaching her. We were both very excited as almost immediately we started seeing improvement in her academic performance. I was always searching and trying out new methods and strategies to help her to learn faster, to remember and recall concepts better, to solve complicated problems quicker and correctly. My girl studied harder then she had ever done before. She was eagerly absorbing everything she could learn with my help. We both knew then that good PSLE results were within her grasp. The only constraint we had was time.

In the end, she got A* for Mathematics, A* for Science, A for English and A for Chinese in her PSLE results. I knew upfront that it would be quite impossible for her to get A* for English and Chinese because 'good language' skills need to be developed over the years and we started too late.

I have learned so much in this ten-month process of preparing my girl for PSLE and I want my experience to benefit others. I have written the book, it is now published, soon it will be released onto the book stores. All the effort would be wasted if these books do not get into the hands of the mothers......

No comments:

Post a Comment